Are you setting up a new organisation or checking that your organisation is in good shape? Perhaps you are a new Trustee or have been a Trustee for years but want to refresh your knowledge.
Here you can find information on governance and how to be a trustee.
Community First Yorkshire Resource Sheets
- Definitions and Structures – Quick guide to help you navigate voluntary sector terminology.
- Registering as a Charity – Everything you need to know from setting your aims to registering.
- Writing Your Constitution – Getting your constitution right is essential – this guide will talk you through the steps needed.
- Being a Charity Trustee – Everything you need to know about the vital role of being a trustee.
- What do Trustees Do – Make sure you’re clear on your trustee responsibilities with this guide.
- Patrons, Presidents and Trustees – Quick look at the different positions and roles they have to play in your organisation.
- Starting a Group – If you’re setting up a group, help is on hand to get you started.
- Running Effective Meetings – We all want shorter, more efficient meetings – this information sheet will help you.
- Running an AGM – From the role of the Chair to how to record votes, this guide will help you navigate your AGM.
- Closing Your Organisation – Step by step advice on how to close your organisation.
Crisis support for trustees
- NCVO – Making Decisions in Tough Times – a webinar on how to make good choices about services, programmes and resources.
- Cranfield Trust – The role of Trustees at a time of crisis – thought-provoking blog on where your priorities should lie as a trustee when making decisions during a crisis.
- NCVO – Governance Crisis: Support for trustees during the coronavirus pandemic – scroll down the page to the ‘Coronavirus guidance for trustees’ section for resources and advice.
- Institute for Voluntary Action Research in partnership with Bates Wells – Thinking about… Merger, during Covid-19 – a look at the reasons for and stages of a successful merger.
General support for trustees
- Association of Chairs: A Chair’s Compass – this guide focuses entirely on the Chair’s perspective and the particular challenges and opportunities of the role.
- Charity Commission News: Issue 65 – 5-minute user-friendly guides for trustees which cover a ‘core syllabus’ of basic information that will help trustees run their charities effectively.
- GOV.UK – The Essential Trustee: what you need to know, what you need to do (CC3)
- NCVO Trustee Training Pack – The foundations of good governance
- NCVO – The Board appraisal tool kit: self-assessment for chairs and trustees
- NCVO – Make your Board effective
- theFSI – The Essential Trustee Series
- NCVO – A trustee’s role and responsibilities
- Lloyds Bank Foundation – Trustee Recruitment, Selection and Induction
- NCVO – Trustee recruitment and induction
- Charity Governance Code – Good Governance
You may also be interested in: