Are you setting up a new organisation or checking that your organisation is in good shape? Perhaps you are a new Trustee or have been a Trustee for years but want to refresh your knowledge.
Here you can find information on governance and how to be a trustee.
Community First Yorkshire Resource Sheets
- Trustee recruitment toolkit: enrich your board with the right trustees – Our guide will walk you through your trustee recruitment journey from planning and identifying what you need, advertising, interviewing and appointment, to induction. We’ve included some useful templates to help you along the way.
- Definitions and Structures – Quick guide to help you navigate voluntary sector terminology.
- Registering as a Charity – Everything you need to know from setting your aims to registering.
- Writing Your Constitution – Getting your constitution right is essential – this guide will talk you through the steps needed.
- Being a Charity Trustee – Everything you need to know about the vital role of being a trustee.
- What do Trustees Do – Make sure you’re clear on your trustee responsibilities with this guide.
- Patrons, Presidents and Trustees – Quick look at the different positions and roles they have to play in your organisation.
- Starting a Group – If you’re setting up a group, help is on hand to get you started.
- Running Effective Meetings – We all want shorter, more efficient meetings – this information sheet will help you.
- Running an AGM – From the role of the Chair to how to record votes, this guide will help you navigate your AGM.
- Closing Your Organisation – Step by step advice on how to close your organisation.
Crisis support for trustees
- NCVO – Making Decisions in Tough Times – a webinar on how to make good choices about services, programmes and resources.
- Cranfield Trust – The role of Trustees at a time of crisis – thought-provoking blog on where your priorities should lie as a trustee when making decisions during a crisis.
- NCVO – Governance Crisis: Support for trustees during the coronavirus pandemic – scroll down the page to the ‘Coronavirus guidance for trustees’ section for resources and advice.
- Institute for Voluntary Action Research in partnership with Bates Wells – Thinking about… Merger, during Covid-19 – a look at the reasons for and stages of a successful merger.
General support for trustees
- Setting up a committee for your nonprofit group – Need to set up a management committee for your club or community group? This post from Zurich Insurance shares some useful tips and resources.
- Association of Chairs: A Chair’s Compass – this guide focuses entirely on the Chair’s perspective and the particular challenges and opportunities of the role.
- Charity Commission News: Issue 65 – 5-minute user-friendly guides for trustees which cover a ‘core syllabus’ of basic information that will help trustees run their charities effectively.
- GOV.UK – The Essential Trustee: what you need to know, what you need to do (CC3)
- NCVO Trustee Training Pack – The foundations of good governance
- NCVO – The Board appraisal tool kit: self-assessment for chairs and trustees
- NCVO – Make your Board effective
- theFSI – The Essential Trustee Series
- NCVO – A trustee’s role and responsibilities
- Lloyds Bank Foundation – Trustee Recruitment, Selection and Induction
- NCVO – Trustee recruitment and induction
- Charity Governance Code – Good Governance
You may also be interested in: